Creating a custom specification in VMware


How to create a custom specification in VMWare


When looking to migrate all our servers to Server 2016 the last thing you want to be doing is building each server manually and then installing updates, common software, tweaks etc. The best way to do it is create a template of a base server which includes all the updates installed and everything else you want then you can create a custom spec to make certain alterations to each individual instance.

Mine here is just a basic version which names the hostname of the VM to be the same as the name you called the VM, set the local time zone, local admin password and generate a new SID.

You can go into much more detail and set scripts to run, join the somain, set static IP's etc.

Here are the basics


Create a Custom spec for VM 

New machine from template 
Give name and location 
Choose Host/Cluster 
Choose storage 

In clone options select “Customise Operating System” this then allows you to create the custom spec 
Click New Custom spec 
Name the spec and give any further details 
 
Set registration name in Windows 
 
I tend to have the VMname and the windows hostname the same so select the Use VM machine name in this section 

 
Add a server license now if you wish, I have left blank as I will add it once up and running 
 
Set the local admin password 
 
Set time zone 
 
Set any scripts to run once if required 
 
I’m happy for the machine to take a DHCP address initially, I will manually configure these settings later as I make other changes 
 
In the domain section I leave this set as workgroup as I will be joining to the domain manually. This is so my login credentials are not stored here and also if my password changes I don’t have to keep editing the custom spec 
 
Leave this section as default, you want a new SID for the VM so you don’t get duplicates in AD. 
 
Once ready to complete click on Finish 

Comments

Popular Posts