Migrating Veeam B&R 9.5 to a new server

Another project I have on-going at the moment is migrating all our servers from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2016. 

As 2008R2 is EOL from 14th January 2020 I want to make sure there is plenty of time to get things moving. All kinds of things can get in the way of this and slow things down such as 3rd party apps which are difficult to move or require additional costs.

Some things however can be done completely in house and one on the list was our Veeam B&R server. I have no bias or commitment to Veeam what so ever but I've got a lot of love for the product. Since using it I've been impressed with everything it just works and you rarely have to have any dealing with it. I am confident our data/servers are backed up and can sleep well at night knowing this.

The other side of things if something does not work as planned or you need help the support I have received has been second to none both on the forums and with the support guys/girls. 

So when the time came to migrate I was more than happy to make the Veeam server one of the early ones.

So armed with the following KB's I was ready to go.

https://www.veeam.com/kb1889
https://www.veeam.com/kb1889#migratewconfigbkp

After following the steps on the above I can confirm the migration was simple and straight forward. As long as all the pre-req's are taken care of such as the repository being available on the new server etc it was plain sailing. 

I had some initial work to do on the new server to make sure it was all connected to the storage array (Synology NAS) in VMware to make sure I could map the repository to the server but it was an easy task.

The Veeam configuration backup restore then took over and did it's thing. I really didn't need to get involved at all. There was one gotcha which Veeam had already warned about using the very latest version  (9.5 3a) which I didn't have installed on the old server was an issue with SQL backups but they had a KB ready for this.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2689

All I needed to do for this was make sure the service account I use for the Veeam backup jobs had sa permissions to the SQL databases. After this backups completed 100%.

Again out of all the backup software I've used over the years this one just works!

Comments

Popular Posts